Re: [Rd] Issue with seek() on gzipped connections in R-devel

From: Jeffrey Ryan <jeffrey.ryan_at_lemnica.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2011 10:54:07 -0500

seek() in general is a bad idea IMO if you are writing cross-platform code.

?seek

Warning:

     Use of ‘seek’ on Windows is discouraged.  We have found so many
     errors in the Windows implementation of file positioning that
     users are advised to use it only at their own risk, and asked not
     to waste the R developers' time with bug reports on Windows'
     deficiencies.

Aside from making me laugh, the above highlights the core reason to not use IMO.

For not zipped files, you can try the mmap package. ?mmap and ?types are good starting points. Allows for accessing binary data on disk with very simple R-like semantics, and is very fast. Not as fast as a sequential read... but fast. At present this is 'little endian' only though, but that describes most of the world today.

Best,
Jeff

On Fri, Sep 23, 2011 at 8:58 AM, Jon Clayden <jon.clayden_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> In R-devel (2011-09-23 r57050), I'm running into a serious problem
> with seek()ing on connections opened with gzfile(). A warning is
> generated and the file position does not seek to the requested
> location. It doesn't seem to occur all the time - I tried to create a
> small example file to illustrate it, but the problem didn't occur.
> However, it can be seen with a file I use for testing my packages,
> which is available through the URL
> <https://github.com/jonclayden/tractor/blob/master/tests/data/nifti/maskedb0_lia.nii.gz?raw=true>:
>
>> con <- gzfile("~/Downloads/maskedb0_lia.nii.gz","rb")
>> seek(con, 352)
> [1] 0
> Warning message:
> In seek.connection(con, 352) :
>  seek on a gzfile connection returned an internal error
>> seek(con, NA)
> [1] 190
>
> The same commands with the same file work as expected in R 2.13.1, and
> have worked over many previous versions of R.
>
>> con <- gzfile("~/Downloads/maskedb0_lia.nii.gz","rb")
>> seek(con, 352)
> [1] 0
>> seek(con, NA)
> [1] 352
>
> My sessionInfo() output is:
>
> R Under development (unstable) (2011-09-23 r57050)
> Platform: x86_64-apple-darwin11.1.0 (64-bit)
>
> locale:
> [1] en_GB.UTF-8/en_US.UTF-8/en_GB.UTF-8/C/en_GB.UTF-8/en_GB.UTF-8
>
> attached base packages:
> [1] splines   stats     graphics  grDevices utils     datasets  methods
> [8] base
>
> other attached packages:
> [1] tractor.nt_2.0.1      tractor.session_2.0.3 tractor.utils_2.0.0
> [4] tractor.base_2.0.3    reportr_0.2.0
>
> This seems to occur whether or not R is compiled with
> "--with-system-zlib". I see some zlib-related changes mentioned in the
> NEWS, but I don't see any indication that this is expected. Could
> anyone shed any light on it, please?
>
> Thanks and all the best,
> Jon
>
> ______________________________________________
> R-devel_at_r-project.org mailing list
> https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-devel
>

-- 
Jeffrey Ryan
jeffrey.ryan_at_lemnica.com

www.lemnica.com
www.esotericR.com

______________________________________________
R-devel_at_r-project.org mailing list
https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-devel
Received on Fri 23 Sep 2011 - 16:19:12 GMT

This quarter's messages: by month, or sorted: [ by date ] [ by thread ] [ by subject ] [ by author ]

All messages

Archive maintained by Robert King, hosted by the discipline of statistics at the University of Newcastle, Australia.
Archive generated by hypermail 2.2.0, at Fri 23 Sep 2011 - 16:50:36 GMT.

Mailing list information is available at https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-devel. Please read the posting guide before posting to the list.

list of date sections of archive