Re: [Rd] quoted strings in foo.Rd rendered as

From: Roger Koenker <rkoenker_at_illinois.edu>
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2009 12:26:06 -0500

Thanks again, options(useFancyQuotes = FALSE) works perfectly!

Roger

On Oct 31, 2009, at 12:05 PM, Prof Brian Ripley wrote:

> On Sat, 31 Oct 2009, Roger Koenker wrote:
>
>>
>> On Oct 30, 2009, at 4:11 PM, Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
>>
>>> First step to check: update to a released version of R 2.10.0!
>> I see the same behavior with:
>> R version 2.10.0 (2009-10-26)
>> x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
>>
>> locale:
>> [1] LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8 LC_NUMERIC=C
>> [3] LC_TIME=en_US.UTF-8 LC_COLLATE=en_US.UTF-8
>> [5] LC_MONETARY=C LC_MESSAGES=en_US.UTF-8
>> [7] LC_PAPER=en_US.UTF-8 LC_NAME=C
>> [9] LC_ADDRESS=C LC_TELEPHONE=C
>> [11] LC_MEASUREMENT=en_US.UTF-8 LC_IDENTIFICATION=C
>>
>> attached base packages:
>> [1] stats graphics grDevices utils datasets methods base
>>
>> loaded via a namespace (and not attached):
>> [1] tools_2.10.0
>>
>>> If that does not help, using options(useFancyQuotes = TRUE) in the
>>> released version should (but possibly not as far back as your
>>> alpha pre-release).
>>
>> And also with options(useFancyQuotes = TRUE)
>
> Oops, you want FALSE to suppress it: TRUE is the default.
>
>>> I suspect that whatever you mean my 'my X11 window' (it is the
>>> application running in the window that matters, perhaps an xterm?)
>>> it is set to the wrong character set. I simply use a Mac terminal
>>> window, and that ought to default to UTF-8 (but it can be changed,
>>> so check if you try one).
>> Yes, I did mean xterm, and yes in a mac terminal window I do get
>> correct rendering, so
>> maybe I should just give up on xterm entirely, but old habits die
>> hard.
>>> On Fri, 30 Oct 2009, Roger Koenker wrote:
>>>> Another anomaly from our rhel5 system, again sessionInfo() below.
>>>> When I'm logged in remotely via ssh from my macpro and view
>>>> documentation
>>>> files in my X11 window, strings in single quotes in the files
>>>> are all
>>>> abbreviated as . The same files appear fine when rendered in
>>>> X11
>>>> using the local R, and also appear fine in a terminal window on
>>>> the
>>>> linux machine, so this could easily also be some sort of ssh/X11
>>>> issue
>>>> not R at all, but if someone had any suggestion for further
>>>> checking
>>>> it would be greatly appreciated.
>>>> Roger
>>>>> sessionInfo()
>>>> R version 2.10.0 alpha (2009-10-09 r50012)
>>>> x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
>>>> locale:
>>>> [1] LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8 LC_NUMERIC=C
>>>> [3] LC_TIME=en_US.UTF-8 LC_COLLATE=en_US.UTF-8
>>>> [5] LC_MONETARY=C LC_MESSAGES=en_US.UTF-8
>>>> [7] LC_PAPER=en_US.UTF-8 LC_NAME=C
>>>> [9] LC_ADDRESS=C LC_TELEPHONE=C
>>>> [11] LC_MEASUREMENT=en_US.UTF-8 LC_IDENTIFICATION=C
>>>> attached base packages:
>>>> [1] splines stats graphics grDevices utils datasets
>>>> methods
>>>> [8] base
>>>> other attached packages:
>>>> [1] survival_2.35-7 quantreg_4.42 SparseM_0.80
>>>> loaded via a namespace (and not attached):
>>>> [1] tools_2.10.0
>>>> url: www.econ.uiuc.edu/~roger Roger Koenker
>>>> email rkoenker_at_uiuc.edu Department of Economics
>>>> vox: 217-333-4558 University of Illinois
>>>> fax: 217-244-6678 Urbana, IL 61801
>>>> ______________________________________________
>>>> R-devel_at_r-project.org mailing list
>>>> https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-devel
>>> --
>>> Brian D. Ripley, ripley_at_stats.ox.ac.uk
>>> Professor of Applied Statistics, http://www.stats.ox.ac.uk/~ripley/
>>> University of Oxford, Tel: +44 1865 272861 (self)
>>> 1 South Parks Road, +44 1865 272866 (PA)
>>> Oxford OX1 3TG, UK Fax: +44 1865 272595
>>
>
> --
> Brian D. Ripley, ripley_at_stats.ox.ac.uk
> Professor of Applied Statistics, http://www.stats.ox.ac.uk/~ripley/
> University of Oxford, Tel: +44 1865 272861 (self)
> 1 South Parks Road, +44 1865 272866 (PA)
> Oxford OX1 3TG, UK Fax: +44 1865 272595



R-devel_at_r-project.org mailing list
https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-devel Received on Sat 31 Oct 2009 - 19:52:48 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0 : Sat 31 Oct 2009 - 20:20:18 GMT