[Rd] Standard non-standard evaluation problem with 2.10-0

From: Gavin Simpson <gavin.simpson_at_ucl.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 2009 20:05:48 +0000


Dear List

I am getting an error when checking my analogue package with R2.10.0-patched. The error comes when running a function within which I use the standard non-standard evaluation method. I've distilled the error and functions involved out into the following simple example to illustrate the error:

## Dummy data to illustrate formula method d <- data.frame(A = runif(10), B = runif(10), C = runif(10)) ## simulate some missings
d[sample(10,3), 1] <- NA

foo <- function(formula, data = NULL,

                subset = NULL,
                na.action = na.pass, ...) {
    mf <- match.call()
    mf[[1]] <- as.name("model.frame")
    mt <- terms(formula, data = data, simplify = TRUE)     mf[[2]] <- formula(mt, data = data)
    mf$na.action <- substitute(na.action)     dots <- list(...)
    mf[[names(dots)]] <- NULL
    mf <- eval(mf,parent.frame())
    mf
}

## apply foo using formula
foo(~ . - B, data = d, na.action = na.pass,

    method = "missing", na.value = 0)
Error in mf[[names(dots)]] <- NULL :
  more elements supplied than there are to replace

If I debug(foo) and do:

Browse[2]> names(dots)
[1] "method" "na.value"

Browse[2]> names(mf)
[1] "" "formula" "data" "na.action" "method"
[6] "na.value"

Browse[2]> mf[[names(dots)[1]]]
[1] "missing"

Browse[2]> mf[[names(dots)[2]]]
[1] 0

But
Browse[2]> mf[[names(dots)]]
Error in mf[[names(dots)]] : subscript out of bounds Browse[2]> str(names(dots))
 chr [1:2] "method" "na.value"

I could have sworn I tested this during the beta test phase for 2.10.0 - if I did I didn't get any errors at that time - and this code works fine under R2.9.x branch. The package is now failing checks on CRAN and on my local install.

Am I doing something patently stupid here? Has something changed in '[[' or 'names' that I'm now running foul of? I can probably work round this by setting the individual names of 'mf' to NULL in two calls, but I'd like to get to the bottom of the problem if at all possible.

Session Info:
R version 2.10.0 Patched (2009-11-01 r50276) i686-pc-linux-gnu

locale:

 [1] LC_CTYPE=en_GB.UTF-8       LC_NUMERIC=C              
 [3] LC_TIME=en_GB.UTF-8        LC_COLLATE=en_GB.UTF-8    
 [5] LC_MONETARY=C              LC_MESSAGES=en_GB.UTF-8   
 [7] LC_PAPER=en_GB.UTF-8       LC_NAME=C                 
 [9] LC_ADDRESS=C               LC_TELEPHONE=C            

[11] LC_MEASUREMENT=en_GB.UTF-8 LC_IDENTIFICATION=C
attached base packages:
[1] stats graphics grDevices utils datasets methods
[7] base
other attached packages:
[1] analogue_0.6-21 MASS_7.2-48 lattice_0.17-25
[4] vegan_1.15-3

loaded via a namespace (and not attached):
[1] grid_2.10.0 tools_2.10.0

Thanks in advance,

G

-- 
%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%
 Dr. Gavin Simpson             [t] +44 (0)20 7679 0522
 ECRC, UCL Geography,          [f] +44 (0)20 7679 0565
 Pearson Building,             [e] gavin.simpsonATNOSPAMucl.ac.uk
 Gower Street, London          [w] http://www.ucl.ac.uk/~ucfagls/
 UK. WC1E 6BT.                 [w] http://www.freshwaters.org.uk
%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%

______________________________________________
R-devel_at_r-project.org mailing list
https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-devel
Received on Tue 03 Nov 2009 - 20:09:31 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0 : Thu 26 Nov 2009 - 12:30:46 GMT