htp on-line reference: Development history
- Version 0.10 (26 Aug 1995)
- Initial release. Many features unimplemented.
- Version 0.11 (6 Sep 1995)
- Version 0.12 (3 Oct 1995)
- Ported source code to Linux. Code should also be portable to other
UNIX-type operating systems as well.
- Version 0.13 (2 Nov 1995)
- Added the UNSET tag.
- Fixed bug related to re-defining macros and defining null-length
- Can now declare multiple SET macros in the same tag.
- Various code issues brought to my attention by Joseph Dandrea
of AT&T Bell Laboratories (firstname.lastname@example.org). Joseph provided many
helpful insights and pointed out many potential problems in a massive
(and desparately needed) code review. htp is a much stronger program
thanks to his excellent support.
- In both response files and FILE INCLUDE's,
the directory delimiter
(forward slash in UNIX, backwards slash in MS-DOS) is parsed
to match the native filesystem ... in other words, no need to
change sources when moving from UNIX to DOS or vice-versa.
Suggested by Chris Jobling (C.P.Jobling@swansea.ac.uk).
- IFNOT tag removed, replaced with IF NOT, which is more compliant
- Braces around macros implemented.
- htp was leaving linefeeds for lines that contained stripped-out tags.
The resulting HTML was somewhat sloppy. Fixed.
- Error and warning reporting made more consistent
- Version 0.14 (10 Dec 95)
- Ported old linear-style readme.txt file to friendly, clean HTML on-line
reference you are now using. 8-)
- Block macros can now be embedded inside another block macro.
- Hell's bells ... was not checking that macro existed before dereferencing.
- Added dependency checking. htp will now only build the output file
if any of the input files have changed (according to file timestamps).
Can be disabled with the NODEPEND option.
- Added some additional code to prevent numerous (but harmless)
- Added FILE SIZE, FILE DATE, and FILE TIME
that works in conjunction with a NAME attribute to report respective
information for an external file.
- Switched to large model for DOS version, to avoid memory constraints
of small model.
- Version 0.15 (18 Jan 96)
- Macro store revised with hash table for faster lookups.
- JPEG support finally added.
- htp will now delete incomplete output files unless the
PRECIOUS option is used.
- Automatically places quotation marks around a macro expanded inside
a markup provided it is not surrounded by other text. See
USE for more detailed information.
- Previously, the macro parser did not escape dual '$'
- Added support for a defaults file. See Default files
for more information.
- Added support for an include file search path. See
FILE for more information.
- FILE TIME and FILE DATE now accept values, which
are interpreted as formatting characters to display the time or the date.
See FILE for more information and warnings.
- FILE EXECUTE implemented.
- Version 0.16 (3 Apr 96)
- Support for project default files added.
- New CONDENSE option added.
- FILE TIME and DATE now report the source
file's time and date, and not the current.
- Options can now be placed in response files.
- Options are processed in a single module rather than haphazardly
throughout the code.
- Support for using different delimiters around htp markups added.
htp markups can now be surrounded by curly braces or square brackets.
See Creating htp files for more information.
- File templates now formally supported.
- Version 1.00 (11 Aug 96)
- Broke down and gave in ... time for a real release.
- Added parameter support for FILE INCLUDE and
BLOCK macros expanded with the
- $ macro expansion can now occur anywhere in a
markup: the tag name, an attribute name, or an attribute value.
- New memory allocator (suballoc.c) added, and several memory leaks found
and squashed. Increased performance as well.
- Finally! Added support for default ALT text
for image files.
- Version 1.10 (23 Sep 96)
- Fixed a bug in the memory suballocator. Some CPUs will fault on
non-DWORD aligned accesses, which suballoc does continuously. Essentially,
htp will coredump almost immediately. Fixed.
- Allan Todds pointed out a rather severe limitation regarding how htp
handles HTML comments. If the comments are too long, htp would puke.
inside a single comment. This has been fixed.
- The memory suballocator has a new feature to release memory back to
the system heap if it grows past a preset bound.
- Richard Crane pointed out a real bugger: response files would not
work with tabs or multiple spaces between file names. Fixed on both
- From Mark Roedel's suggestion, I've added comments
to response files.
- Metatags added!
- Version 1.11 (27 Oct 2000)
- New location for on-line documentation, Griffith University.
Now out of date
- First release by new maintainer, Robert King.
- No change to behaviour of program from 1.10 at all.
- Version 1.12 (13 Jul 2001)
Table of Contents
htp on-line reference / http://maths.newcastle.edu.au/~rking/htp/ref/
Author: Jim Nelson / No email available
Maintainer: Robert King /
Copyright © 1995-96 Jim Nelson.
Permission to reproduce and distribute this hypertext document granted
according to terms described in the Introduction
Last updated Fri Jul 13, 2001