Subject: R 0.65 and AIX: if it quacks like a duck...
From: Thomas Vogels (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Date: Tue 20 Jul 1999 - 12:04:54 EST
this relates to R-devel of 1999/July/18. I will outline what I had
to change to get R to compile with cc then with gcc. Note that R
compiled with cc works, R compiled with gcc is broken.
--> Compile with cc:
1) Edit src/main/saveload.c: disable the undefine! With the #undef
_XOPEN_SOURCE_EXTENDED the compilation dies an untimely death.
(And the header files are not as badly broken for cc!)
2) Edit src/appl/sock.c: dto.
3) Edit src/unix/system.c: need a "break;" after default: in line 752
(yes, won't compile without)
4) Edit src/main/builtin.c: line 318 should read "#endif /* NOT_used */"
(get rids of the warning)
5) CC=cc ../configure
Note this is broken for the dependency check (ld barfs the error
message to stdout instead of the log file?)
checking whether cc accepts -M for generating dependencies... ld:
: Undefined symbol: .main
ld: 0711-345 Use the -bloadmap or -bnoquiet option to obtain more
Note 2 that configure leaves a file called "-fp-no-toc" behind. Oops.
6) make && make check and everything looks ok.
--> Compile with gcc:
1) 2) 3) 4) like above
Additionally edit *sock.c:
5b) In appl/Rsock.c and appl/sock.c added `#include "Rconfig.h"'
(This doesn't hurt the cc compilation.)
6b) CC=gcc ../configure
Surprises: this finds libcurses and libz. I don't know where,
though. So I manually remove -lreadline -lz -lcurses from the LIBS
line in Makeconf. Note that I add my private readline with the help
of CPPFLAGS and LIBS in config.site (thanks, Kurt).
7b) edit Rconfig.h:
typedef long blkcnt_t;
Yes, I NEED this for gcc 2.8.1. This is a gcc bug, because
gcc -I/usr/include will compile. What I've learned is that it is
essential to verify which include files the compiler finds, these are
not always the ones in /usr/include! Maybe configure can pick this up?
This gets you to a point where things will compile. What remains is
the NaN and Inf problem. I've tried to disable the finite function by
overriding the configure result (a la finite=no). But then R core
dumps. And uh, those ugly tick marks...
I'm afraid this all doesn't make too much sense, it's a mess.
Lemme know, if there is something you want me to try.
-- mailto:email@example.com (Tom Vogels) Tel: (412) 268-6638 FAX: -3204
-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.- r-devel mailing list -- Read http://www.ci.tuwien.ac.at/~hornik/R/R-FAQ.html Send "info", "help", or "[un]subscribe" (in the "body", not the subject !) To: firstname.lastname@example.org _._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._
This archive was generated by hypermail 2b25 : Tue 04 Jan 2000 - 14:16:06 EST