[Rd] What do you call the value that represents a missing argument?

From: Hadley Wickham <hadley_at_rice.edu>
Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2010 17:32:05 -0500

Hi all,

What's the official name for the value that represents a missing argument?


What's the correct way to create an object like this? (for example if you are manipulating the formals of a function to add an argument with no default value, as in http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3892580/). as.symbol("") returns an error. Both substitute() and bquote() return that object, but it's not obvious if this is on purpose.


Assistant Professor / Dobelman Family Junior Chair
Department of Statistics / Rice University

R-devel_at_r-project.org mailing list
Received on Fri 08 Oct 2010 - 22:38:54 GMT

Archive maintained by Robert King, hosted by the discipline of statistics at the University of Newcastle, Australia.
Archive generated by hypermail 2.2.0, at Sat 09 Oct 2010 - 10:30:08 GMT.

Mailing list information is available at https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-devel. Please read the posting guide before posting to the list.

list of date sections of archive