Re: [R] issue with "strange" characters (readHTMLTable)

From: R.T.A.J.Leenders <r.t.a.j.leenders_at_rug.nl>
Date: Thu, 05 May 2011 11:33:45 +0200

   Thank you. The line of code you give certainly resolves several of the    issues.
   I didn't realize that font support is such a tough matter to realize. Let me    express my gratitude to those who provide this for us in R.    On 04-05-11, Prof Brian Ripley <ripley_at_stats.ox.ac.uk> wrote:

   Oh, please!
   This is about the contributed package XML, not R and not Windows.    Some of us have worked very hard to provide reasonable font support in R,    including on Windows. We are given exceedingly little credit, just    the brickbats for things for which we are not responsible. (We even work    hard to port XML to Windows for you, again with almost zero credit.)    That URL is a page in UTF-8, as its header says. We have provided many ways    to work with UTF-8 on Windows, but it seems readHTMLTable() is not making    use of them.
   You need to run iconv() on the strings in your object (which as it has    factors, are the levels). When you do so, you will discover that page    contains characters not in your native charset (I presume, not having your    locale).
   What you can do, in Rgui only, is
   for (n in names(Islands)) Encoding(levels(Islands[[n]])) <-"UTF-8"    but likely there are still characters it will not know how to display.    On Wed, 4 May 2011, R.T.A.J.Leenders wrote:
>
> WinXP-x32, R-21.13.0
> Dear list,
> I have a problem that (I think) relates to the interaction between
   Windows
> and R.
> I am trying to scrape a table with data on the Hawai'ian Islands, This is
   my
> code:
> library(XML)
> u <- "[1]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawaii"
> tables <- readHTMLTable(u)
> Islands <- tables[[5]]
> The output is (first set of columns):
> Island Nickname
> > Islands
> Island Nickname
> Location
>1 Hawai�»i[7] The Big Island 19�°34⤲N
   155Ã?°30⤲W / 19.567
>�°N 155.5�°W / 19.567; -155.5
>2 Maui[8] The Valley Isle 20�°48⤲N
   156Ã?°20⤲W / 20.8Ã?°N
>156.333�°W / 20.8; -156.333
>3 Kaho�»olawe[9] The Target Isle 20�°33⤲N
   156Ã?°36⤲W / 20.55
>�°N 156.6�°W / 20.55; -156.6
>4 L�na�»i[10] The Pineapple Isle 20�°50⤲N
   156Ã?°56⤲W / 20.833Ã?°N 15
>6.933�°W / 20.833; -156.933
>5 Moloka�»i[11] The Friendly Isle 21�°08⤲N
   157Ã?°02⤲W / 21.133Ã?°N 1
>57.033�°W / 21.133; -157.033
>6 O�»ahu[12] The Gathering Place 21�°28⤲N
   157Ã?°59⤲W / 21.467Ã?°N 1
>57.983�°W / 21.467; -157.983
>7 Kaua�»i[13] The Garden Isle 22�°05⤲N
   159Ã?°30⤲W / 22.083
>�°N 159.5�°W / 22.083; -159.5
>8 Ni�»ihau[14] The Forbidden Isle 21�°54⤲N
   160Ã?°10⤲W / 21.9Ã?°N
>160.167�°W / 21.9; -160.167
>
> As you can see, there are "weird" characters in there. I have also tried
> readHTMLTable(u, encoding = "UTF-16") and readHTMLTable(u, encoding =
> "UTF-8")
> but that didn't help.
> It seems to me that there may be an issue with the interaction of the
> Windows settings of the character set.
> sessionInfo() gives
> > sessionInfo()
> R version 2.13.0 (2011-04-13)
> Platform: i386-pc-mingw32/i386 (32-bit)
> locale:
> [1] LC_COLLATE=Dutch_Netherlands.1252 LC_CTYPE=Dutch_Netherlands.1252
> LC_MONETARY=Dutch_Netherlands.1252
> [4] LC_NUMERIC=C LC_TIME=Dutch_Netherlands.1252
> attached base packages:
> [1] stats graphics grDevices utils datasets methods base
> other attached packages:
> [1] XML_3.2-0.2
> >
> I have also attempted to let R use another setting by entering:
> Sys.setlocale("LC_ALL", "en_US.UTF-8"), but this yields the response:
> > Sys.setlocale("LC_ALL", "en_US.UTF-8")
> [1] ""
> Warning message:
> In Sys.setlocale("LC_ALL", "en_US.UTF-8") :
> OS reports request to set locale to "en_US.UTF-8" cannot be honored
> >
> In addition, I have attempted to make the change directly from the
   windows
> command prompt, using: "chcp 65001" and variations of that, but that
   didn't
> change anything.
> I have searched the list and the web and have found others bringing forth
   a
> similar issues, but have not been able to find a solution. I looks like
   this
> is an issue of how Windows and R interact. Unfortunately, all three
> computers at my disposal have this problem. It occurs both under
   WinXP-x32
> and under Win7-x86.
> Is there a way to make R override the windows settings or can the issue
   be
> solved otherwise?
> I have also tried other websites, and the issue occurs every time when
   there
> is an é, ü, ä, î, et cetera in the text-to-be-scraped.
> Thank you,
> Roger
>______________________________________________
>R-help_at_r-project.org mailing list
>[2]https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-help
>PLEASE do read the posting guide
   [3]http://www.R-project.org/posting-guide.html
>and provide commented, minimal, self-contained, reproducible code.
>
   --

   Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley_at_stats.ox.ac.uk
   Professor of Applied Statistics,  [4]http://www.stats.ox.ac.uk/~ripley/
   University of Oxford,             Tel:  +44 1865 272861 (self)
   1 South Parks Road,                     +44 1865 272866 (PA)
   Oxford OX1 3TG, UK                Fax:  +44 1865 272595

References

  1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawaii
  2. https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-help
  3. http://www.R-project.org/posting-guide.html
  4. http://www.stats.ox.ac.uk/%7Eripley/
    R-help_at_r-project.org mailing list https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-help PLEASE do read the posting guide http://www.R-project.org/posting-guide.html and provide commented, minimal, self-contained, reproducible code.
Received on Thu 05 May 2011 - 09:48:17 GMT

Archive maintained by Robert King, hosted by the discipline of statistics at the University of Newcastle, Australia.
Archive generated by hypermail 2.2.0, at Thu 05 May 2011 - 15:30:04 GMT.

Mailing list information is available at https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-help. Please read the posting guide before posting to the list.

list of date sections of archive