Re: [R] Warned about these "three little maids"...

From: Prof Brian Ripley <ripley_at_stats.ox.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 21:49:08 +0000 (GMT)

You should consult the summary

http://cran.r-project.org/bin/windows/contrib/checkSummaryWin.html

to answer such questions. These are not part of the install of R -- you must have chosen to install some packages which depend on them. As to whether you need them -- that depends if you need the packages that depend on them.

You are wrong about xgobi: it is on the CRAN extras site and a default repositories setup will find it. However, it is an interface to XGobi, and that is pretty much obsolete in favour of GGobi (and rggobi is its R interface).

Package gtkDevice has been withdrawn.

It should be possible to build package RGrace for Windows -- it only depends on packages RGtk2 and cairoDevice these days, and I've just done so. (Earlier versions were a different story.) However, it fails its checks as it incorrectly uses "UTF8" (instead of "UTF-8") for an encoding name. (So Cc:ing the maintainer.)

On Thu, 13 Mar 2008, Brian Lunergan wrote:

> Greetings all:
>
> Newcomer to R as I work on learning it to transfer my college classroom
> stats training to something more useful and accurate then that spreadsheet
> from Redmond which shall remain nameless.
>
> I'm running v2.6.2 on a Win XP Home system that I keep up to date with all
> the called for patches. Haven't added much to the basic install other than
> the bits and bobs needed to run the R Commander package and its plugins. I
> did, however, use the ctv library to add the Graphics view.
>
> When I reached the end of the install (a somewhat drawn out exercise as I
> haven't jumped into a high speed hookup yet) R warned me that gtkDevice,
> RGrace, and xgobi were not available. I use the Ontario, Canada mirror and
> they are indeed not listed among the install choices. A quick search on the
> names and I get the impression these three are not available for the
> Windows platform. Correct perception or no? Do I need them for a windows
> setup? Where would I find them if they are needed?
>
> Any help or advice much appreciated...
>
> --
>
> Brian Lunergan
> Nepean, Ontario
> Canada

-- 
Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley_at_stats.ox.ac.uk
Professor of Applied Statistics,  http://www.stats.ox.ac.uk/~ripley/
University of Oxford,             Tel:  +44 1865 272861 (self)
1 South Parks Road,                     +44 1865 272866 (PA)
Oxford OX1 3TG, UK                Fax:  +44 1865 272595

______________________________________________
R-help_at_r-project.org mailing list
https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-help
PLEASE do read the posting guide http://www.R-project.org/posting-guide.html
and provide commented, minimal, self-contained, reproducible code.
Received on Thu 13 Mar 2008 - 21:53:18 GMT

Archive maintained by Robert King, hosted by the discipline of statistics at the University of Newcastle, Australia.
Archive generated by hypermail 2.2.0, at Thu 13 Mar 2008 - 22:30:21 GMT.

Mailing list information is available at https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-help. Please read the posting guide before posting to the list.

list of date sections of archive