Re: [R] RODBC, freetds, and MS SQL Server

About this list Date view Thread view Subject view Author view Attachment view

From: Andrew Schuh (andys@neptuneinc.org)
Date: Wed 02 Apr 2003 - 04:42:21 EST


Message-id: <3E89DD8D.1060400@neptuneinc.org>

I'm happy. Setting this argument seemed to work for me and I guess I
should have messed with it a bit. I guess the argument seemed a bit
confusing and didn't seem to imply to me that it represented a possible
solution. However, it does seem to work with the MS SQL Server I'm
having to use. I haven't been connected to the list since last November
so I'm sorry if I missed some discussion on this. It might be a good
idea to call it out a bit more in the details and state that it has
represented a potential solution with Oracle and MS SQL Server. Also,
for those out there that are looking for a good way to connect R to a MS
SQL Server; installing freetds via unixODBC seems to work (fingers
crossed). Thanks again.

Prof. Brian Ripley wrote:

>?odbcConnect has
>
>believeNRows: logical. Is the number of rows returned by the ODBC
> connection believable? Not true for Oracle, apparently.
>
>Try setting it to FALSE, as it looks like your driver is broken.
>
>I am not wure why people keep ignoring this parameter in RODBC ....
>
>
>On Mon, 31 Mar 2003, Andrew Schuh wrote:
>
>
>
>>I have a question for RODBC users out there. I have used the package with
>>good results for some time. However, I have just switched from an OpenLink
>>proprietary driver for MS SQL to the FreeTDS driver (I think it is MS SQL
>>Server 2000 I'm connecting to if it matters). I was/am running them from
>>unixODBC on a Linux Client. I think I have it set up fine since I can use
>>"isql" to perform simple queries on the database. However, I get really odd
>>behavior when I try to use it through RODBC. It seems to connect fine but
>>gives back odd results. The database I'm accessing is called "cmp" and there
>>are many tables of which one is called "Medium". In the past "select * from
>>cmp.Medium" has returned the whole table to me but now it only seems like I
>>get column headers. Any help or advice would be appreciated.
>>
>>##-------------------------------------------------------------------------------##
>>
>>
>>>library(RODBC)
>>>con <- odbcConnect("BIGSKY","***","**********")
>>>con
>>>
>>>
>>RODB Connection 0
>>Details:
>> case=nochange
>> 0Ҩ
>>
>>
>>>sqlTables(con)
>>>
>>>
>>[1] TABLE_QUALIFIER TABLE_OWNER TABLE_NAME TABLE_TYPE
>>[5] REMARKS
>><0 rows> (or 0-length row.names)
>>
>>
>>>sqlQuery(con,"select * from Medium")
>>>
>>>
>>[1] "[RODBC] ERROR: Could not SQLExecute"
>>[2] "S1000 1 [unixODBC] Msg 208, Level 16, State 1, Server BIGSKY, Line
>>1\nInvalid object name 'Medium'.\n"
>>
>>
>>>sqlQuery(con,"select * from cmp.Medium")
>>>
>>>
>>[1] MediumKey Medium IsSpecies
>><0 rows> (or 0-length row.names)
>>
>>
>>>version
>>>
>>>
>> _
>>platform i686-pc-linux-gnu
>>arch i686
>>os linux-gnu
>>system i686, linux-gnu
>>status
>>major 1
>>minor 6.2
>>year 2003
>>month 01
>>day 10
>>language R
>>
>>
>>Also, I'm using the latest RODBC I got from CRAN yesterday.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>
>
>

______________________________________________
R-help@stat.math.ethz.ch mailing list
https://www.stat.math.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-help


About this list Date view Thread view Subject view Author view Attachment view

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.1.3 : Tue 01 Jul 2003 - 09:11:35 EST