RE: [R] R-2.1.0 search engine works with mozilla browser but notfirefox

From: Marc Schwartz <MSchwartz_at_medanalytics.com>
Date: Sat 30 Apr 2005 - 06:54:21 EST

On Fri, 2005-04-29 at 13:04 -0700, Waichler, Scott R wrote:
> > I believe the problem is related to the change in the
> > installation directory for the updated JVM from Sun.
> >
> > If you use the jre1.5.0_02 from java.sun.com, then the plugin
> > is installed in:
> >
> > /usr/java/jre1.5.0_02/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so
>
> Ok, the above pathname is the exact one. Yes, this is the one I used.
>
>
> >
> > I just downloaded the updated RPM binary installer from java.sun.com.
> >
> > A key step here is that you need to remove the old 1.5 version:
> >
> > rpm -e jre-1.5.0-fcs
>
> This is not installed on my machine.

OK. That was just in case you have a prior version installed. Though you might want to check in /usr/java to be sure that there are no other versions present.

> >
> > With both versions installed, there appear to be conflicts.
> > The new installer appears to use "rpm -i" rather than "rpm
> > -U", which leaves both versions in place. Testing at the site
> > below with both versions installed fails.
> >
> > Once you have properly done the above, then go here:
> >
> > http://www.java.com/en/download/help/testvm.xml
> >
> > to test your java plug-in installation.
>
> Yes, this test page works fine in my Firefox, and about:plugins shows
> the Java stuff is present and enabled. And the boxes under Preferences
> are checked.
>
> Java is working in my Firefox, but there is something about the R search
> engine it doesn't like. Just to be really clear, this is the page that
> appears, but the links and search box inside it don't work:
> file:///tmp/RtmpB32234/.R/doc/html/search/SearchEngine.html

That is correct. R uses dynamically created pages, which will be in /tmp.

Scott, do you have a lot of CRAN/BioC packages installed? If the list of your installed packages is not overly long, why don't you post it back here, or if it is, send it to me offlist.

I am wondering if there is an installed package causing problems for the search engine.

I am not sure of other possible issues.

I did find that there seems to be at least four CRAN packages:

  1. PHYLOGR
  2. sfsmisc
  3. survrec
  4. vardiag

that seem to have problems with UTF-8 locales. If I run help.start() in my default locale of en_US.UTF-8, I get the following for each of the above packages:

> help.start()

Making links in per-session dir ...
Error in gsub(pattern, replacement, x, ignore.case, extended, fixed) :

        input string 28 is invalid in this locale

The number of the input string does change. I believe that the above error occurs within make.packages.html().

If I change to LANG=C, the above packages do not cause problems, so perhaps they need to be updated for R 2.1.0.

I'll drop a separate e-mail to each of the package authors above.

Marc



R-help@stat.math.ethz.ch mailing list
https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-help PLEASE do read the posting guide! http://www.R-project.org/posting-guide.html Received on Sat Apr 30 07:01:19 2005

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.1.8 : Fri 03 Mar 2006 - 03:31:31 EST