Re: [R] Puzzled at rpart prediction

From: Uwe Ligges <ligges_at_statistik.uni-dortmund.de>
Date: Thu 04 Aug 2005 - 17:44:59 EST

Ajay Narottam Shah wrote:

> I'm in a situation where I say:
>
>
>>predict(m.rpart, newdata=D[N1+t,])
>
> 0 1
> 173 0.8 0.2
>
> which I interpret as meaning: an 80% chance of "0" and a 20% chance of
> "1". Okay. This is consistent with:
>
>
>>predict(m.rpart, newdata=D[N1+t,], type="class")
>
> [1] 0
> Levels: 0 1
>
> But I'm puzzled at the following. If I say:
>
>
>>predict(m.rpart, newdata=D[N1+t,], type="vector")
>
> 173
> 1
>
> What gives?

This means that the class of the first level is chosen, and the first level is "0".

Uwe Ligges

> I will be happy to packup a runnable demonstration for any of you, but
> I wondered if it was just my lack of knowledge about "type" in
> predict.rpart; wondered if there was a simple and logical explanation.
>



R-help@stat.math.ethz.ch mailing list
https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-help PLEASE do read the posting guide! http://www.R-project.org/posting-guide.html Received on Thu Aug 04 17:47:53 2005

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.1.8 : Sun 23 Oct 2005 - 15:03:48 EST