[R] Digests of R-help -- minor mess (unicode character set problems)

From: Martin Maechler <maechler_at_stat.math.ethz.ch>
Date: Fri 09 Dec 2005 - 03:59:11 EST


Again (as earlier last week) it happened that some of the postings to R-help were using a version of unicode that seemed invalid to the unicode-handler (for the digest) inside Mailman (the mailing list software). As a consequence, yesterday's and today's daily digests were not sent out.

This time, it ended up better and worse:

 Better is that, thanks to google, I found a patch to  the python script inside mailman which made it not to choke  any more on the invalid code *)
==> The problem should not happen anymore in the future.

 Worse I did this time by fouling up the manual digest resending,  such that 3 digests were sent out today, and in wrong order, too.

With apologies for any confusion to the R-help digest readers, Martin Maechler, ETH Zurich

-- 
*) interestingly these problems only happened for the first time
 last week, even though we've been using mailman 2.1.6 for a
 long time.  Interestingly too, that the fix to the problem I
 found with google is only 5 weeks old, too.
 My guess is that only quite recently some e-mail software has
 been changed to the worse such that these illegal characters
 are now sent around in e-mails.

______________________________________________
R-help@stat.math.ethz.ch mailing list
https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-help
PLEASE do read the posting guide! http://www.R-project.org/posting-guide.html
Received on Fri Dec 09 05:24:08 2005

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.1.8 : Fri 09 Dec 2005 - 09:31:24 EST